Friday 17 August 2012

Day #4: Crossroads of Cultures & Talents


Everyone was rather dead in the morning. My team had its morning walk and we explored the hidden park beside IE University. The morning walk was rather refreshing. It helped us to release and let go of our stress and tiredness we had. We were told to spread ourselves around the park, to observe one thing about the nature; the insects or anything around the park. The first thing that came across my mind was to go down the slope and sit beside the river. I looked into the river and it was clear. I saw a crab-like kind of species resting beneath the water. I admire the crab for being able to find peace in the water. I admire the crab because I want to have the opportunity to do that, without any fears. I closed my eyes and I hear the whisper of nature singing to me- the river flows, the tree leaves sway and the conversations between the insects.

Sebastian Lindstrom (co-founder of the HIV/AIDS organization, "Light" for the children in Ghana) was the first speaker of the day. He inspired us with his deep interest in photography. His love for the camera and his hope to help the society took him for a journey where he wanted to show the world about people living in the dark side of the world through his photographs and hopefully one day, everyone could live in peace and everyone would be given a fair treatment. His photographs are not just about the people but animals and anything that God has created. It's true when people say that a picture paints a thousand words.






Next the stage was passed to Luis and Alberto (co-founders of the Holalabs). They were inspiring to me because they were only 16 years old and 17 years old when the Holalabs was created. I was impressed by their efforts and determination for having to balance both their academics and their project. When I was 16 years old, I was busy fulfilling my curriculum and academic life that I was so ignorant of what was happening in reality and in the real world. Aiming for a straight A's results and gold medals for competitions aren't that big of a deal now looking at these people who went through pain and sweat to create something for the society and the world. Their success proved to the world that age isn't a matter; it's you that matter.
After having sufficient data about our project, we were told to compile our project using the business canvas model. The business canvas model is extremely useful because it is a summary for us and questions my group about our project; whether it would be successful in long-term and also, short-term. It narrowed the information to the most basic level that sometimes, we might forget. With this information, we were ready to go on with our prototype the next day.
I would say that that night was the best night for us, Malaysians, because speaking of cultural aspect nothing beats Malaysia. We were so prepared for the cultural night from our outfits to food and souvenirs. Many came back for our junk food. For me, I fancied the Colombian pancake (I would say it looked like the French crepe) with their topping that seemed like Malaysia's kaya. It was really sweet but I guess everyone needs some sweetness in life, don't we? There were lots of performances and I would say the traditional Spanish dance was fantastic. It was really brave of her to dance on the stage alone. One thing I knew was that she was proud to be who she was- a Spanish and I believe that roots are the most important part of the a tree and in all of us, human beings, life. You will never go far without acknowledging your roots because with them, how could the flowers bloom?
The best performance of the night would definitely be the American guy who went on stage alone and started performing a performance with mashed-up songs. No words could describe his performance because it was.... beyond fantastic. Seriously?! He did it effortlessly and he could remember the sequence of his steps, which took him about 5 minutes or more? I was so WOWED by him.
We went back with a happy and tired look but once we got into the hotel, we were all lighted up. After being together for a couple of days, most of us felt comfortable among ourselves and started having long conversations that seemed hard to stop. Well, today the day isn't ending.......

No comments:

Post a Comment